By: The Gaming Mom
The long wait is finally over. Angry Birds 2 has finally landed at iOS and Android app stores. Developer Rovio Entertainment kept gamers drooling over the sequel, which is now the 14th game in the Angry Birds series. The puzzle video game made a soft launch in Canada in early March under the name Angry Birds Under Pigstruction, but it was in July 30 that the developers released its official app with a simpler name.
After six years, we are finally able to try the sequel to the famous pig-smashing flying bird game. Is it worth installing or a waste of time? What should we expect from the Angry Birds 2?
During this review process, we used the LG G4, which is the exact handset used by the Rovio marketing team in producing the Angry Birds 2 teasers. Check out the video here:
We also find the LG G4 a great device for mobile gamers, as O2 says it has a 3GB RAM, Octa-core processor, and long lasting battery – everything a gamer wants from a phone. It’s also exactly the same reasons why we chose the handset for this review.
What we love about this game:
Finally, we are able to enjoy the long-awaited game. Gamers are expecting a lot from this title, given that it took the developers a long time to build this sequel. There are various exciting things about Angry Birds 2 that old and new fans will love, and here are some of them:
• The updated graphics are something to look forward to. All the objects on the screen from the birds and pigs to the background, everything has been improved, in 3D, and in high definition. The backdrops are painted-like with weather-effects, making the updated user interface a huge plus.
• Although the rest of the characters are the same with the same look and similar powers, there is one special bird that you may want to get randomly (that is if you’re lucky enough) – the silver bird. It comes with a special flying power that loops. Meet him in this video.
• More exciting games to finish. Yes, gone are the days when you only have to demolish a building of pigs and you are done with that stage. This time around, players get to play multi-tiered stages, attacking more pigs, enjoying more games. Overall, it comes with 240 stages.
• Boss Battles are exciting, where you get to defeat a big pig and deplete its health by smashing objects to pass to the next stage. Spells are also available that help you get through various challenges. These are unlockable items like the one where it lets you pummel pigs with golden ducks.
• Android gamers will love the game because they can install it even with an Ice Cream Sandwich OS, but iOS gamers will need to have iOS 7 or above device to play the title.
Some things you have to consider:
Excited to install the game? There are a few things gamers will have to consider to fully enjoy this title. Here’s what we know so far:
• Free up some of your space, as this game requires 68 MB for Android and 86.3 MB for iOS devices to download the title. Expect updates to also eat up more memory later on, so prepare ahead and clear your RAM and storage to avoid any freezing screens or crashing the app entirely.
• Save cash, and we mean it. The in-app purchases will cost you around $1.11 to $115.60 per item to fully enjoy the title.
• There’s nothing really new in terms of gameplay. The mechanics and end goal remains the same – fly the birds, crash the towers with pigs, and earn points. It even has the same set of birds except for the silver one.
• Birds do not refill between stages, so be choosy on which ones you fling. Lives are only given five at a time and will refill per every hour (reminds you of Candy Crush?).
Overall, we find the Angry Birds 2 a lot more interesting and livelier title than the original, with its new user interface and interactive characters. The new Silver character is something to look forward to, while the arcade gameplay will keep you hooked for long hours. However, gamers might find the freemium features a turn off as the lives, birds, and levels will cost a lot.